The following is a brief overview of how students are selected for membership in the Marshall High School chapter of NHS®. For complete details and access to the required forms, please see your invitation letter for a link to the official candidate instructions.
If you have lost your invitation letter, you may see Mr. Reinish in Room D211 for assistance or contact him at [email protected].
For NHS candidates in Fall 2021:
Step 1: Check your fcpsschools.net email account for your official invitation to share your qualifications with the NHS Faculty Committee.
- The first round of invitations will be sent no later than May 21, 2021. (An additional round of invitations will be sent in August/September.)
- If you believe you should have received an invitation but did not, please contact the chapter adviser at [email protected].
Step 2: Gather documentation of your service, leadership, and (optional) work experience.
- You must obtain the name and contact info of a supervising adult (not a parent/guardian) for every activity you include.
- You must also provide evidence (such as an email from the supervising adult) confirming your participation.
Step 3: Complete the electronic Candidate Information Form.
- Please provide us with the best email address to reach you at for future communications and the preferred spelling of your name. Also be sure that your student ID number is accurate.
- Students who fail to submit the Candidate Information Form on time will not be able to have their qualifications considered by the selection committee.
- Candidate Information Forms are due by September 24, 2021.
Step 4: Check your email to see whether you have been selected for membership.
- Notifications are usually sent by October 31.
- We will contact you at the email address provided on your Candidate Information Form.
Step 5: If you are selected, attend the mandatory Induction Ceremony.
- The ceremony usually takes place near the end of the fall semester.
- If you are unable to attend the ceremony for any reason, you must notify the chapter adviser in advance. Permission to attend a make-up ceremony will only be granted in the case of emergency or an excused absence from school the day of induction.
- The induction ceremony is usually held in person at the school auditorium, but we will switch to a virtual model if public health considerations require us to do so.